South Houston

Skyline at South Houston Texas

South Houston

South Houston grew rapidly between the 1940’s and the early 1960’s.  Its most colorful citizen during those years was George Christy, who served as the City’s mayor from 1949 to 1951 and from 1960 to 1964.  Christy was the owner of a circus, and his elephants helped build Spencer Highway.  In 1960 South Houston had a population of 7,523. By then the City had attracted numerous smaller industries, including manufacturers of asphalt, wire products, oilfield chemicals, and concrete conduits.  In 1980 South Houston reported a population of 11,782 and 303 businesses, mostly in the retail and service industries.  The community is amply supplied with municipal recreation facilities and public services, including modern fire-fighting equipment, and a library.  Nearby attractions include Hobby Airport, the San Jacinto Battleground, and the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center.

Public schools

South Houston is served by the Pasadena Independent School District.

The following elementary schools serve sections of South Houston:

Sections of South Houston west of Old Galveston Road are served by Rick Schneider Middle School (Houston, Grades 5-6). Parts of South Houston are zoned to Carter Lomax Middle School (Pasadena, Grades 5-6). Parts of South Houston are not served by any “middle school” and instead are served by elementary schools, intermediate schools, and high schools.

Sections of South Houston west of Old Galveston Road are served by South Houston Intermediate School (South Houston, Grades 7-8). Parts east of Old Galveston Road are served byQueens Intermediate School (Pasadena, Grades 6-8).

All of South Houston is served by South Houston High School.

Find a home in this area.

This information courtesy of The City of South Houston and Wikipedia.